I would describe it as “desire to create and improve” that I always had and that motivated me to study engineering. I have a degree in mechanical engineering (Dipl.-Ing. (FH)), specialized in product development, so systematic problem solving and a range of different CAD programs are my basic tools of trade.
The Engineering Process
One of the central point of my studies, and something I have profited from in designing things and applications, are the methods of systematic problem solving, where complex technical problems are divided into partial problems. To find the best solution to each elementary problem, there are many methods of stimulating creativity, the classic brainstorming being the most common, but not the only one.
Computer Aided Design has come a long way from drafting with ink on paper – and scratching it off with razor blades if you made a mistake – to modern parametric 3D-CAD programs. Since I started working with 3D-CAD software in 2007, I have worked with a range of different programs including
- CATIA V5
In 2015, I added the first CAM-software to this list:
- MasterCAM X8 (read about related project (de))
The possibilities of parametric design have always fascinated me, because modelling parametric components require a deeper understanding of their geometry and -last but not least- a bit of programming. Notable things I created were standard parts like flanges based on DIN/ISO norm tables with SolidWorks and Excel/VBA. Using this powerful combination I also created an adaptive standard ladder part, that would add rungs, supports and even the safety cage at the height required by safety regulations.
- Audi AG, Ingolstadt, Germany (cars): student project
- FLSmidth Hamburg GmbH, Germany (pneumatic bulk material handling): draftsman and CAD-programmer
- ArcelorMittal Hamburg GmbH, Germany (steel rod wire production): head of design for new ladle furnace
- SKFLeblanc, Saint-Anselme, Canada (food processing): draftsman
- PlastiqueArt, Sainte-Claire, Canada (thermal forming): CAD/CAM programmer and CNC technician (read about related project (de))